Speakup not talking on grml 1.1 softsynth

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue May 27 06:05:20 EDT 2008

Ernst-Dieter Wedekind wrote:
> I recently installed grml 1.1 on my harddisk but I couldn't get
> speakup to talk through softsynth. When I used the cdrom it talked
> through my Apollo Hardsynth as well as through my softsynth. I went
> through all the configuration files of speech-dispatcher, flite and
> espeak but I can't seem to find any difference between the Cdrom and
> the installation. Anyone any idea as to the reason? Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

Have you tried including "swspeak" on the boot command line as well as
running it after the system boots?  Remember that software speech won't
speak boot messages.  You have to run the swspeak command once you're
logged in as is clearly documented in the cheat codes on grml.org and I
think on the CD itself.