speakup, grml and braille blazer

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon May 19 20:43:57 EDT 2008

don't confuse a null modem with a modem.
A modem is a device that lets your computer talk over phone lines.

You should not have any rj11s near your bns; only serial cables.

There are 2 layouts most commonly used for serial ports, the pc style (dte)
and the modem style dce.
The blazer has a pc-style wiring on it but the gender is female.
You need to connect pc to pc so you need a null modem.
This is like in nedworking where you wish to connect pc to pc with no hub or
switch you need a cross-over cable.

A null modem is a device or cabling wire map that allows 2 computers to talk
to each other over a serial link.
Assume we have 2 computers with a 9-pin serial connection wishing to talk to
each other.
The cable in use is a straight through. Pin 2 is transmit and pin 3 is
receive and 5 is signal ground.
If the pins are wired straight through then the transmit and receive pins
are wired transmit to transmit and receive to receive.

This will not work as the transmit pin on one computer needs to be wired to
the receive pin on the other. A null modem or cable does this for us.
Usually it's wired as
2 to 3, 3 to 2, (transmit to receive)
5 straight through (signal ground)
4 to 6, 6 to 4, (cts to rts)

Then cd is tied on one end to dsr and possibly dsr.