Dectalk express with speakup as modules?

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Sun May 4 23:13:54 EDT 2008

Hi,
    In getting back into Gentoo lately, I've been using the "official"
method of using Speakup with my kernel, namely compiling it as modules
outside the kernel tree.
    I have a Dectalk Express, or rather Dectalk USB with a serial cable, and
was wondering how to go about specifying it and its port in the
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file.
    I always seem to get a probe failure with this unit, for some reason.  I
know that in the latest Speakup git tree there isn't any probing for an
Express at all, as I remember.
Any help with this earlier version?  Or might it be best for me to just
switch to maintaining Speakup myself?
Thanks,
Zack.