slightly OT: Ubuntu Server

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sat May 3 10:54:26 EDT 2008

Yeah I have installed this basically you do it as follows:

Assuming ubuntu server 8.04 server, instructions differ for 7.10 and
earlier.
Boot the cd.
If running 8.04 server press escape and enter twice on the main keyboard to
get to the isolinux boot prompt.

escape gets you out of the graphical screen, enter once okays exiting from
splash screen
and enter a second time chooses english.

for 7.10 press escape and enter.
Key in something like
expert console=ttyS0,38400
replacing 38400 with the baudrate you want.
Danger: Lilo and grub can only go up to 38400 so if you set the console
faster, you will get consle messages but the lilo/grub serial console at
boot will scramble.

Make sure your terminal program of choice supports vt100 escape sequences
and utf-8 encoding.

Regards, Kerry.