Speech Dispatcher espeak module error

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Fri May 2 03:13:08 EDT 2008

Hi,
    In trying to use the espeak module of speech-dispatcher today, I noticed
an error which seemed a little nonsensicle.
    The module apparently failed to load because the library wasn't compiled
with alsa support.  The exact error text is:
Opening sound device failed.  Reason: the sound library wasn't compiled with
Alsa support.
    I find this strange: I can run espeak from the command line without any
trouble.
    The espeak-generic module is exhibiting some clipped sounds, which makes
it rather difficult to use as a substitute.
    I'm using Gentoo--which I just installed again after a fairly
substantial absence.
Any tips for this?
Thanks,
Zack.