Have a minor problem with Debian/Shane CD...

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Mar 31 05:58:32 EDT 2008

Gaijin wrote:
> 	Had a minor difficulty while dist-upgrading to Lenny.  My ISP
> took that opportunity to knock me offline for a billing error, and I
> totally trashed my system.  I've had to do a full re-install from the
> Shane SpeakUP CD, and couldn't find a way around the kernel deletion
> bug, so I couldn't run tasksel.   Does anyone know the package name to
> install to give minimal functionality to the system?  I keep getting
> the error:
>
> UDF-fs: No VRS found

Hi,

I am not a developer so I'm just guessing here but I read the tasksel
README recently because of my own problems I was having. First, it
sounds like you need UDF filesystem support which is probably in the
kernel or kernel modules. Second, I think the task you want is "base" or
similar, but that task is hidden. Specifically, the install is supposed
to run tasksel to install the hidden tasks for you but that obviously
didn't happen. I'm not exactly sure how to get around this since it
won't show up in the list of tasks to install, but you could try:

tasksel install base

Also, you could look in the "base" section of
http://packages.debian.org/ to see what packages should be there. I
think you might want base-files and maybe base-config, but I'm not sure
about that. On my grml system which is basically Sid, it has the
base-files package installed. I'm not remembering how to get tasksel to
list every task it knows about (maybe tasksel list?) but you'll know
when you find it because you'll see Arabic close to the top. Maybe you
need to look at the tasksel-data package.

If all else fails, you could just install every task and hope it brings
in necessary dependencies. I'm sorry this isn't a definitive answer but
hopefully this should point you in the right direction.