more on software speech stuttering issue

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Fri Mar 21 16:06:34 EDT 2008

My CPU is slightly faster but I do not have the problem you have.
Here are some lines from the script I use to start speech on my
fastest system--note the use of the 'nice' command (you might have to
play with the parameter for the 'nice' command a little to get it
working just right on your system):

#unload and reload the elements of the software speech synthesizer
/bin/killall speech-dispatcher 2> /dev/null
sleep 2
#Speech Dispatcher should be more agressive with system scheduling
than Speechd-Up, so we force the issue with 'nice'.
/usr/bin/nice --adjustment=-1 /usr/bin/speech-dispatcher
echo sftsyn > /proc/speakup/synth_name
/bin/killall speechd-up 2> /dev/null
/usr/bin/speechd-up &

The above is running under Slackware 12.0 and some somewhat dated
versions of Speech Dispatcher and Speechd-up.  See the man page for
the 'nice' command for its use.

HTH, and have a great weekend.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:26:52PM -0700, Katie Durden wrote:
> I think my computer is too fast...
>
> I'm still having the issue where when using software speech with
> speakup, auto-spoken output gets hacked apart.
>
> a line of text might be read like this
> t, his is a, r, eal, ly bad ,l ine of t, xt
>
> really annoying. does it with every software synth i try.
>
> I think that speakup isn't outputting text to /dev/softsynth fast
> enough, speechd-up is reading it faster. or at least that's my guess,
> I really don't know enough about how that all works to be sure...
>
> I think this because when I first boot up the computer, and when
> nothing is running, the problem is extremely bad. a single line will
> be split up 4 or five times, and its almost every line that does it.
> once i start up gnome, boot up windows in vmware, and in general just
> have lots of programs open, it ... doesn't go away completely, but
> lessens. it might split a line once or twice and its only every four
> or five lines. so the more memory I use, the more processing power is
> in use, the less noticeable
>  it is.
>
> Also I have speakup/speechd-up/speech-dispatcher installed on an old
> computer, 400mhz with 128mb ram, and the problem is non-existent.
>
> My main box is amd64 dual-core 2.0 ghz with 2gb of ram and the root
> device is a 10000 rpm drive.
>
> So could this be the case? is my computer just too fast for speakup? lol.
>
> Katie D

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light...
COSEC (x) / SEC (x) = (COTAN (x) / TAN (x)) ^ 2