more on software speech stuttering issue

Katie Durden katielicious66 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 23:26:52 EDT 2008

I think my computer is too fast...

I'm still having the issue where when using software speech with
speakup, auto-spoken output gets hacked apart.

a line of text might be read like this
t, his is a, r, eal, ly bad ,l ine of t, xt

really annoying. does it with every software synth i try.

I think that speakup isn't outputting text to /dev/softsynth fast
enough, speechd-up is reading it faster. or at least that's my guess,
I really don't know enough about how that all works to be sure...

I think this because when I first boot up the computer, and when
nothing is running, the problem is extremely bad. a single line will
be split up 4 or five times, and its almost every line that does it.
once i start up gnome, boot up windows in vmware, and in general just
have lots of programs open, it ... doesn't go away completely, but
lessens. it might split a line once or twice and its only every four
or five lines. so the more memory I use, the more processing power is
in use, the less noticeable
 it is.

Also I have speakup/speechd-up/speech-dispatcher installed on an old
computer, 400mhz with 128mb ram, and the problem is non-existent.

My main box is amd64 dual-core 2.0 ghz with 2gb of ram and the root
device is a 10000 rpm drive.

So could this be the case? is my computer just too fast for speakup? lol.

Katie D