Slackware and IBMTTS: Progress, sort of

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Sun Mar 16 22:23:15 EDT 2008

Hi,
    Slackware doesn't have the equivalent to the hash Ubuntu and Debian do,
as far as I'm aware.  I've done some searching, and can't get things to run
smoothly.
    The actual .deb packages seem to be mostly builds of Gnome Speech, an
Emacspeak server, that sort of thing.  I believe those aren't required to
get IBMTTS itself working.  There is already a speech-dispatcher module, and
I'm sure with some work I could get Emacspeak and friends to do the right
thing if I felt the inclination.
    For now, though, getting that lang mounted is the crux of the trouble: I
can't seem to.  I'm almost tempted to do a whole build of util-linux-ng
under something like /usr/local or my private bin directory, if that would
solve things.  I'm not sure it would though.  I guess there's nothing to be
done except to try...
    Sending me a tarball of /opt/ibmtts?  I'm not sure that'd work,
but...Maybe.
Thanks for your help.  I'll keep experimenting and let you know what comes
of it.
All the best,
Zack.