Slackware and IBMTTS: Progress, sort of

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Sun Mar 16 15:54:48 EDT 2008

Hi,
    I appear to have found a bug, or at least an incompatibility, in
Slackware, specifically its version of losetup and related tools, which is
causing me a great deal of problems.
    The voxin-installer.sh cannot mount the encrypted filesystem because
Ubuntu and Debian have, apparently, different ways of dealing with the
password.  By default it seems that Ubuntu and Debian hash the password, and
Slackware's version of losetup doesn't know about this--is it an earlier
version?  Anyhow, when I try mounting on it, I get an error about unknown
filesystem type: naturally, since the password I'm given which is entirely
correct is being given raw to the encryption engine, unhashed.
    I'm not quite sure what to do about this.  According to
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-security-4/encrypted-filesystem-wont-mount-because-of-different-version-of-losetup-616885/
there is a -n option to the Ubuntu/Debian version of Losetup which will
bypass the hash.  I don't have that version, however, and I don't have any
version of Ubuntu or Debian handy at the moment.  Mildly annoying.
    Any advice from anybody here as far as that goes?  I'd really appreciate
it.  Gils?
Thanks much,
Zack.