how not to install debian desktop environment

Doug Smith dougsmith1 at charter.net
Sat Mar 8 11:10:25 EST 2008

Ok, how to install Debian with gnome.  I have ubuntu up and running flawlessly.  I just got the last little fixes on it yesterday, and I am perfectly satisfied with
what I have found.

Remember me, the guy who wouldn't touch a graphical user interface with a 1000 lightyear pole, the guy who would never even look at such a distribution up to a few
hours ago, have the thing up and running perfectly with my Dell latitude dx, the computer I have had since two or three years ago.  It really works.
You might ask what happened?  Well, it's this.  If you don't get something that's up to date with what window$ is doing, and with the other systems on other
systems, you will end up not being able to use the internet after a while.

Well, the only problem I had with it is that I needed sighted assistance to install the ubuntu system, because that installation problem seems to be inaccessible
again, but once that little 5-minute, one-time-only thing is done, it works.  I just added my command line favorites onto the system and am using all of them until
I figure out this new graphical environment.  Even then, being a power user, I will always do many things from the command line.

If you have a sighted friend, and you don't mind working with him or her for a couple of minutes, you can get a good little system up and running in no time.  If
you need help, mail me off list.

Glad to help.

Doug Smith