how not to install debian desktop environment

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Mar 7 22:02:55 EST 2008

1) don't install on etch since gnopernicus is less than stable that comes
with that version and security is an issue.
2) don't install on lenny even with a clean installation aptitude will
    encounter at least 10 packages with errors it cannot install. Does sid
    or unstable work any better, I don't know but I'll find that out next
    after I burn this system to the ground and start over with a clean
    install. Doing just a gnome package install followed by accessibility
    packages is no solution either since the system doesn't get configured
    well enough to remain stable.  I don't know if the ubuntu gnome is
    unique in playing sign on themes after a successful login or not.  If
    no, then there's another oddity to track down.  I have an offer of help
    from someone who can see and knows his way around Linux this weekend.
    Given the bad state of installation he'll probably just waste his time
    if he comes over here.  I found thepackage in debconf-utils that can
    write a new Xorg.conf file for a computer.  The problem is, after I
    used that package and rebooted I ended up with a broken gnome
    installation.  If I find where aptitude put those errors, I'll probably
    show them to Peter Youssef and see what he can make of them.  That
    debconf-utils package in terms of its description is promising if it
    works and makes effective preseed.cfg files.  I have to study that one
    since it may help me do what I do around here faster in the future.
    Finally something for any who have managed to get debian gnome up and
    talking.  There is a window manager called ratpoison that's supposed to
    move everything over onto the keyboard so you don't have to use the
    mouse for anything once installed.  No idea if it works or how it might
    work.  I read about it on a page describing debian's X packages.