What window manager?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Mar 4 05:05:48 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm totally new to X and I have no idea what I'm doing.  I am running
grml 1.1rc1 and a 1.70 GHZ processor with 256 MB of RAM.  I did
"aptitude install gnome-orca" and it installed a bunch of things.  I ran
the Orca setup and it talked.  What else do I need to do to start Gnome
with speech?  There is no program called gnome on my system.  I tried
"startx" but it just sits there and puts me on tty7 with no text.  I
tried grml-x to set up X and it wants to know what window manager to
use.  I tried putting in gnome but it couldn't find it.  I finally
randomly picked fluxbox but nothing.  I tried again with openbox but
still nothing.  What do I need to do?  What else do I need to install?
What window manager should I use?  If there's a web page somewhere I
should be reading, please point me to it.  I can run startx and it shows
a bunch of startup messages with some warnings but that's it except
switching me to tty7.  I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do.  If I
just run orca by itself after I run startx, I get an error that the
display environment is not set.  Any help is appreciated.  Does it
matter what window manager I pick?