linux on a windows box

Nick Stockton nstockton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 03:56:42 EST 2008

Well first of all you said that your wanting to compile rockbox more quickly
than it's able to be compiled in cygwin.
Just so you know new rockbox builds for all the supported platforms are
generated every time the source is modified.
http://build.rockbox.org/
Now if your still wanting to run a copy of gnu/Linux, I think the best thing
would be to run a full copy on another partition, unless you have a spare
USB hard drive you don't mind using.
If you do have a spare USB hard drive then running the grml live cd and
connecting the USB hard disk might be best for your purpose.
I've downloaded the rockbox source so I could make my own voice file for my
player and it takes forever.
There are so many small files that even with a fast internet connection it
drags along and so, unless you have a place to store the source you've
downloaded, you will have to pull the complete source from svn every time
you want to update, instead of doing a "svn update" command.
Now as far as running gnu/Linux under CoLinux goes I've tried it, and it's
definantley not nearly as fast as a gnu/Linux distro running natively on a
hard drive.
I wasn't able to get speakup working in it, I had to use jaws to read the
screen and it wasn't as accessible as Cygwin's accessibility using jaws.
I'm not sure how well the two compare as far as speed of compiling goes but
I doubt that CoLinux is much faster than Cygwin if at all.