linux on a windows box

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 3 02:00:35 EST 2008

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, Gaijin wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 09:13:53PM -0000, alex wallis wrote:
>> I'm wanting to get set up with a linux OS, but I don't really want to go
>> down the route of jewel boot, and I don't have enough resources to run linux
>> under vmware.
>
> Hello and welcome to the list,
>
> 	Have you ever heard of "LiveCDs?"  Dunno if 512 is enough memory
> to run everything you might want, but LiveCDs run in memory alone.  Just

512 mb is plenty to run a livecd with everything. How much do you want?
I am running gnome here on 256 mb of ram its slow so 512 is good. (I
tested this a while ago.)

> pop in the CD and start the machine, and voila, you're running Linux.

Well yeah if it goes smovely.
What if speech won't start? Or perhaps it won't boot for some reason. Or
you may need to go into your bios and adjust boot-order.

> Unless you manage to mount the Windows partition and try to write things
> there, it doesn't even touch the hard drive.  There are a few flavors of

Well yeah. ok. But it is mounted automatically.

> linux that offer LiveCDs, like Ubuntu, GRML, , Fedora (I think), and
> Oralux, to name a few.  They'll even get you online if your system isn't
> too complicated.  Anyway, you can use those to play around in linux and

They will. Like most distroe installers would too.

> see if you like it and leave Windows as-is.  Documentation is usually
> included right on the CD and can be viewed with Windows Notepad or a web
> browser  Get yourself a few blank CDs and try them all.  I run Debian

Why not read the documentation in ubuntu or whatever?
And read the man pages!

> (no LiveCD) because of the package (software) manager is the best in the
> biz, and 99.9% of the time you don't have to search the web to find any
> software.  The entire collection can be installed with multiple

Well that's true. But ubuntu uses apt to.
And I have never used yum so can't comment yet.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
d.dalton at iinet.net.au