linux on a windows box

Georgina gena at mga.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 17:46:29 EST 2008

I was wondering has anyone had experience with using this, and getting linux

setup using it and obviously running a screen reader?

I'd not heard of this project but having read the FAQ, it would be very
difficult to get something working.  There's no mention of serial devices
which are likely to be virtual within the colinux environment.  So this
would not allow speakup's hardware synth support.  As for the software synth
and for speakup or orca, I'm not sure owing to the difficulties mentioned of
having to use a sound server which we already do for software speech.  Then
there's the device names, not only would you need to learn the linux names
of your hard disk, you'd also need to learn the colinux virtual naming
system.  It certainly doesn't sound like something a newbie should even
begin to consider.

I must admit, I'm interested in this area as I'm setting up a business
catering for this type of situation.  So I hope that someone who doesn't
have a vested interest proffer an opinion.

But how about using a external hard disk or USB pen?  Can you investigate
whether your laptop can boot from USB devices?

Gena
Ready2GoLinux www.ready2golinux.com