linux on a windows box

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 3 01:48:38 EST 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, alex wallis wrote:

> Hi. So where can i download some of these live cds?

I haven't been following.
But ubuntu:
www.google.com
Or www.ubuntu.com
Google may find it easier...

Dunno about the rest, although it would be nice to test speakup.
Because a linux gui isn't really that accessible. The cli is the best part
about it.

> and if I install a package, does it get installed on the cd, or the hd?

Well a temp dir I guess on the cd. But it is removed on shutdown.
So install lots of stuff while you are booted. But as soon as you shutdown
your computer it all goes except the default packages included like:
gnome, open office, orca, brltty, firefox etc.
Its just
apt-get install whatever
or apt-cache search
You need sudo for some things too obviously.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
d.dalton at iinet.net.au