More on UTF-8 issues

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Wed Jun 25 12:13:24 EDT 2008

Hi,
I've done some experimentation with speechd-up and espeak, and found the
UTF-8 reading to work when hearing characters automatically.  I used the
example of various accents on the letter a, typed into Vim.
Both A acute and A grave are read properly by espeak, but when reviewed
with speakup's review keys they appear as Greek letters.
I suspect this is a consequence of the way character pronounciations are
handled currently.  /sys/modules/speakup/parameters/characters isn't UTF-8
aware.
I tried catting /dev/null to it, but that just reset it to defaults, as
did /dev/zero.
Realistically speaking I don't need UTF-8 characters myself, but it is
still a little annoying to hear them misidentified.
Hope this helps somewhat,
Zack.