Beeping grub in Ubuntu

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Mon Jun 16 03:39:40 EDT 2008

Since I've just implemented this, found in an old message by Chuck, I
thought I'd post the results here.

For Ubuntu, this file is /boot/grub/menu.lst.
With nano, I simply went to a title line which wasn't commented out,
pressed alt-v once I was on the first letter of the word "Ubuntu" in the
title, and then hit control-g.  Did it for several, in fact.

Worked like a charm to get a beeping grub.

It beeps several times fast on my system when first starting grub, and as
a side benefit it also beeps every time I change lines with the up/down
keys, and just for good measure also beeps when I select a kernel for
booting.

Nice one chuck.

Sadly it doesn't survive an update-grub.

Luke

--
"Fiat money and sustainable society are not compatible." - Peter Cajander