IBMTTS on slackware

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Jun 6 15:36:27 EDT 2008

Hello,
I think (going from memory and not looking back at messages on the orca
list) some of the problems regarding speech-dispatcher and orca come
from is that the orca team and speech-dispatcher teams have slightly
different oppinions on what should do what. Gnome-speech is the main
supported output for speech in orca, I think the speech-dispatcher one
isn't officially supported.

As far as getting gnome-speech to use alsa, you will need to edit a file
(for viavoice it
is /usr/lib/bonobo/severs/GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Viavoice.server)
and edit the location attribute (I can't remember which XML tag it
belongs to, but that element also has an attribute type="exe") and
modify the value to include aoss (eg.
aoss /usr/bin/viavoice-synthesis-driver). NOTE: this also works for
espeak in gnome-speech.

Michael Whapples