intro and questions

Alonzo mariachiac at aim.com
Tue Jul 29 22:57:03 EDT 2008

Hello Janina

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm completely new. I've done the folowing
and found the binary you put up on tsynth.com.
I've edited the file specified menu.lst and my kernel line now looks
like this

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.10-86.spk.fc9.i686 ro
root=UUID=f78d3f62-f05a-4dab-a0f6-299adf756710 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.25.10-86.spk.fc9.i686.img
speakup.synth=soft
I'm not sure if hte last part concerning speakup is correct since I'm
not sure what version of speakup I have. I've downloaded the latest
speakup from a mirror using git. I'm jsut not sure if I should follow
the commands specified to rebuild for my kernel or how i go about
patchign my kernel since speakup is already installed.
I understand that i need speech-dispatcher and speachd-up in order to
hear software speech when using speakup. However, on that part, I can't
install speechd-up since I'm not successful in getting speech-dispatcher
to work on Fedora. I can install it from source and install the
necessary libraries, but when trying to test by envoking spd-say hello
the following error occurs:
spd-say hello
I get the following
spd-say error while loading shared libraries libspeechd.so.2 can not
open shared object file
no such file or directory

So I can't continue with speechd-up if speech-dispatcher is not working.
I'm sorry if I seem to be sending amounts of high traffic to the list.

Thank you for everyones time
Alonzo

Please feel free to call at
361-219-9399