intro and questions

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jul 29 14:50:47 EDT 2008

It's a .gz file. That means it's compressed. It's also a binary file--no
make, or anything of the kind required.

1.) use the gzip command to uncompress the file:

gzip spk-connect-ttsynth-1.1.tar.gz

2.) This will give you spk-connect-ttsynth. Copy (or move) that file
somewhere where it can be executed from anywhere. /usr/local/bin is the
recommended place.

3.)	If you've properly loaded Speakup's software speech support, you
simply execute the spk-connect-ttsynth binary to get speech.

NOTE: How to tell whether you've properly set Speakup up depends on what
version you're running. If you're up to date do:

cat /sys/module/speakup/parameters/synth

You should get one word, 'soft' as output.

I don't know how I can make this simpler. I'm sorry. I don't understand
what "same results" means.

Janina