intro and questions

Tomas Cerha cerha at brailcom.org
Mon Jul 28 04:26:16 EDT 2008

Alonzo wrote:
> 2. When I edit the file grub.conf I beleive it's in /boot. To specify
> the software speech at boot do I just scroll to the end of the file and
> type speakup_synth=sftsynth then restart the computer and hope to have
> speech at boot time?

No, this only makes the speakup's output available to software speech,
but you need speechd-up to actually make use of this output and deliver
it to a software speech synthesizer through Speech Dispatcher.  See
http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd-up.

> 1 When using the graphical end of Fedora in Gnome, I'm unable to hear
> sound and speech at the same time. That is, if I play try listening to
> an mp3, I would have to kill speech before hearing music. I tried
> following the instructions to get espeak to work along side orca on the
> wiki page, but it does not work. please advise on that as well.

This can be solved when using Speech Dispatcher instead of Gnome Speech
with Orca.  See http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SpeechDispatcher for more
information.

Best regards, Tomas