question on speakup-source debian package

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Sat Jul 26 13:53:06 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:23:51PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> I think you didn't read my question carefully enough.

	I replied to what I quoted from your previous post.  I'm
old-school and prefer a simple tarball over any of the other "supposed"
shortcut utilities to help patch the kernel, like git and
module-assistant, the latter who's use never seems to be mentioned when
patching SpeakUP into a kernel.  I'm just saying that you could compile
a 2.6.26 kernel on a Commodore-64 if the compiler is correct, as it just
translates sourcecode into bits and bytes the CPU understands.  I'm
assuming from what I've gathered that git just downloads the SpeakUP
code, though I've never gotten it to work, and running the patch script
that comes with SpeakUP is what patches the kernel.  Others can correct
me if I'm wrong.  I'm not sure why module-assistant was added for Debian
and seems like just another complication tossed into the process, so I'm
looking for a different distro that doesn't depend on 5 million lines of
perl script just to keep it working.  Debian already has 7 (that I know
of) interfaces into the package manager alone, each with extensive
documentation.

			Michael