Scrollback and DEC-Talk Express

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Jul 26 06:12:47 EDT 2008

Kerry Hoath wrote:
> Handshaking with the dectalk express has allways been a problem; in fact
> asap would lock up nicely if you used the type command to read a long text
> file.

Hi,

Your explanation was very interesting and was exactly what I was trying
to figure out.  Yes, the kernel has a scrollback buffer, which is what I
wanted to know in the first place.  However, you seem to be overlooking
something or I'm not understanding.  I'm not feeling well so it could be
my fault.  That is that in very old versions of Speakup from cvs, I
could easily cat those same README files to the exact same synthesizer
and speech would go on forever.  I once let it read every single boot
message from the kernel starting to the login prompt with no problem.
It's only now in newer git versions that the 4 KB bug shows up, so I
still consider it a bug that hasn't been fixed.  I admit that I know
little of handshaking and serial communication, but before there was no
problem and now there is.  This can be easily demonstrated with the grml
1.1rc1 live CD, which still had unlimited text output with speech not
stopping.  Apparently the final 1.1 release upgraded the Speakup version
so probably has the bug.  I don't know exactly when the bug happened but
it goes back to my kernel build from the April git clone and probably
before that.  I don't remember if the Shane Etch CD has this or not, I
would have to check.