Latest Debian snapshot

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Jul 25 06:49:37 EDT 2008

Handshaking with the dectalk express has allways been a problem; in fact
asap would lock up nicely if you used the type command to read a long text
file.

Whilst I understand the desire to send multiple killobytes of text to the
synth and have speakup do the right thing it raises some interesting points.

the scrollback buffer is finite; and most sighted people pipe to a pager
rather than shift pageup especially if the text is long.

I have no idea whether speakup supports the kernel scrollback buffer which
relys on storing text in spare video memory.
I do know however that screen's scrollback buffer does in deed work.
This brings up an interesting question regarding how speakup and Linux
should behave regarding handshaking.

When the synthesizer indicates buffer full, rts goes low and the software
sending text should supposedly stop generating synthesizer output.

Ok so what do you do from a Linux perspective? Block console output until
the synth raises rts?
How long should that blokc happen for? What if rts never goes high again?

Should the console freeze forever thereby introducing the possibility of a
denial of service attack or should speakup give up and assume synth not
present?
How long should this process take given that people run their synthesizers
at different speeds?

Does the screen stop scrolling for a sighted person and does the console
file descriptor ever block for them?

I certainly would like to see the problem solved; however the problem is not
as simple as blocking console output when the synthesizer handshakes off.
I also notice many cables for the dectalk distress either have bad wiring or
the firmware in the device doesn't even handshake reliably.
regards, Kerry.