Latest Debian snapshot

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jul 25 06:04:22 EDT 2008

Gaijin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 09:00:11AM -0700, Tony Baechler wrote:
>
>> Apparently there is a scrollback buffer in the kernel
>> but I never got it to work.
>>

> 	Do you know about the 'script' command that will copy all screen
> I/O to a file?  Run without parameters, script will log everything  to a
> file in the current directory called "typescript".  Use the "exit"
> command to exit console logging.

Yes, that isn't what I'm interested in.  There's screen (1) as well,
which in combination with script (1) lets you have multiple windows
open.  One can also direct logs and such to tty7 and read them with
Alt+F7 from the console.  I was specifically interested in a scrollback
buffer that is apparently supposed to be part of the kernel and wouldn't
require redirecting to a file like you suggest with script (1).  One
doesn't always know how much output will be generated when running a
command and often one finds out too late that speech stops and text will
not be spoken which has scrolled off the screen.  A good example is when
I cat a README file.  I don't need to make a typescript because it's
already a file on disk.  I don't really want to reread the file with
more (1) when only a small amount of text wasn't spoken.  A scrollback
buffer would be ideal.  Besides, I don't want typescripts taking up
large amounts of disk space and I don't want to keep a record of every
command with output for security and privacy reasons.  The .bash_history
is bad enough.  Thanks anyway for the suggestion though.  That is a good
idea when upgrading so you can see if anything went wrong and what.