Latest Debian snapshot

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Jul 24 12:00:11 EDT 2008

Samuel Thibault wrote:
>> I haven't checked if the speech stopping after about 4 KB of text has
>> been fixed yet.
>>

> It should.

Hi,

Sorry, no luck.  I ran cdparanoia which shows a constantly updated
progress bar.  Speech always stops once the progress bar gets displayed
because it is constantly changing, even if I interrupt speech.
specifically, if I run cdparanoia and wait for the progress bar to start
displaying, hit keypad Enter and keypad 8, I get no speech unless I hit
a Speakup key about four or five times.  If I hold down the keypad 8 for
a few seconds and release, speech starts again until the buffer (or
whatever it is) is full again.
>> The two small problems are as follows:  First, I followed Samuel's
>> instructions for building modules.  I did the following commands:
>>
>> m-a prepare
>> tar -jxf speakup*.tar.bz2
>> cd modules/speakup  (I was already in /usr/src)
>> make
>> make modules_install
>>

> Errr.  If you installed a debian speakup-source package then you just
> need to run
>
> m-a a-i speakup
>
> The instructions you quote above were for the case when you install by
> hand from a git clone and don't really have to do with debian except m-a
> prepare that installs the stuff that speakup needs to compile.

Again, sorry but this doesn't seem to be correct.  I tried that several
times with the previous snapshot after I installed it and it still
insisted on running "apt-get install speakup-source" every time,
regardless whether I did "m-a prepare" first and even though I had
installed the latest (3.0.2 20080517) snapshot previously several weeks
ago.  It seems that "m-a a-i speakup" always downloads sources even if
they are installed.  I had the tar.bz2 archive in /usr/src before even
trying m-a, so presumably it could find it.  I tried running from within
/usr/src and other directories.
>> The problems are that it isn't obvious that the Speakup source is
>> installed under /usr/src/modules/speakup.
>>

> That's debian policy, but as I said above, forget about
> it, just use m-a a-i speakup, which is documented in
> /usr/share/doc/speakup-source/README.Debian

Yes, that's fine if you want to install what happens to be available in
the current Debian release.  A section on installing manually would help
if you're running Stable and want to install from Unstable, but since it
seems to always download the sources anyway, maybe it wouldn't matter.
>> Most packages I've compiled from source use a dash instead, such as
>> make modules-install.
>>

> I guess these weren't kernel module packages.

I meant packages generally, not modules.  Some packages, for example,
support "make install-strip" to strip binaries first.

The only remaining problem I see is that speech still stops after about
4 KB.  I have no other hardware synthesizers to try and I don't have
software speech installed, so I suppose it could be a DEC-Talk Express
issue.  I would consider that bug somewhat serious as I've missed
important information when installing packages because speech suddenly
stops and by the time I get it to come back, text has long since
scrolled past.  Apparently there is a scrollback buffer in the kernel
but I never got it to work.