Latest Debian snapshot

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Jul 24 09:47:11 EDT 2008

Tony Baechler, le Thu 24 Jul 2008 06:18:49 -0700, a écrit :
> First, thank you very much, Samuel!  I was hoping for a new snapshot to
> be released as a Debian package.  Is there any chance that the new
> package will make it to Lenny with the big freeze looming?

Lenny is planned to be shipped with 2.6.26, so there will be a new
compilation.  Since reports say a new snapshot would fix serious bugs,
that can go through the freeze.

> I haven't checked if the speech stopping after about 4 KB of text has
> been fixed yet.

It should.

> The two small problems are as follows:  First, I followed Samuel's
> instructions for building modules.  I did the following commands:
>
> m-a prepare
> tar -jxf speakup*.tar.bz2
> cd modules/speakup  (I was already in /usr/src)
> make
> make modules_install

Errr.  If you installed a debian speakup-source package then you just
need to run

m-a a-i speakup

The instructions you quote above were for the case when you install by
hand from a git clone and don't really have to do with debian except m-a
prepare that installs the stuff that speakup needs to compile.

> The problems are that it isn't obvious that the Speakup source is
> installed under /usr/src/modules/speakup.

That's debian policy, but as I said above, forget about
it, just use m-a a-i speakup, which is documented in
/usr/share/doc/speakup-source/README.Debian

> Most packages I've compiled from source use a dash instead, such as
> make modules-install.

I guess these weren't kernel module packages.

> For that matter, why not support "make install" instead?

Because modules_install is the kernel way.  Ask the linux-kernel mailing
list ;)

> The second problem is slightly more serious.  Apparently the Speakup
> modules must go in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/speakup.  The "make
> modules_install" command put them in the extra directory but not in
> extra/speakup.  I had to manually copy them there.  Until I did, it kept

Again, that's not a speakup issue, but a more general issue: if you
install both a debian package and do installation by hand, you'll end up
with two versions.  Same for any debian package...

> Now I have two sets of identical Speakup modules, one in the extra/
> directory and another in extra/speakup/.  This should probably be
> fixed.

On your system, yes, because you have installed by hand.  Not a debian
issue actually.

> Again, other than those small issues, all seems well

Ok, cool, I will push that version to Debian.

Samuel