CentOS

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Wed Jul 23 15:46:48 EDT 2008

I've patched the rhel 3 kernel with speakup before. It is a bit tricky,
since Red Hat backports security and bug fixes, as well as some features
from newer kernels to the rhel kernel, but it is possible.

The way I did it was to do an rpm -bp on the kernel rpm, then make a
backup copy of it and try and patch speakup against it. The patch will
likely fail in places, so you will need to apply the failed hunks
manually. Then make a patch against the copy and your speakup modified
tree and include the patch in the spec file and rebuild.

Or it might be easier to try one of the speakup patches from a speakup
modified fedora kernel srpm. If you're lucky, it might just work out of
the box.