irc

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Tue Jul 22 13:51:58 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 03:04:24AM -0700, Tony Baechler wrote:
> I'm relatively new to irc.  I used it back in about 1995

	I use irssi, myself, probably because I haven't tried the epic4
package, maybe.  irssi is much quieter than bitchx, with all the status
displays making a racket.  irssi could still use an easy command to:

	cat file.txt > #channelname

...without flooding, but it does the job, I guess.  Only real annoyance
is irssi says your nick every time someone joins the channel, and you
mistakenly think someone is addressing you.  The first command a person
needs to learn is:

	/ignore #channelname joins parts quits

...to cut down on annoying noise.  I had been hacking into the config
files to get rid of the user's addresses from being spoken before I
learned the command.  My LiteTalk synthesizer happily mangles the
pronunciation of most nicknames, and it's a bear cursoring up to try to
highlight and spell the nickname when the channel's really active.  You
might get better results with one of the soft synths.  I haven't tried
that as yet.  I just like irssi as it's relatively easy to quiet down,
and saves aliases into it's configuration, unlike bitchx, where you have
to manually edit a text file from outside the program.

			Michael