irc

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Jul 21 12:44:07 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Samuel previously stated on this list that I was complaining but not
helping with better Debian accessibility.  Therefore, I'm asking here
first to find out what I should do.  Should I file a bug or is there
something I can set in Speakup to get around the problem?

The problem is with the ircII client.  It seems to work fine and has no
obvious accessibility problems.  It is a text mode program and works
fine from the console.  However, everything I type is repeated by
Speakup.  If I type the slash for example, I hear "slash slash."  If I'm
typing a command like /help, I her "slash slash h h e e l l p p."  I can
minimize this by turning off key echo, but I don't understand why it
echos everything.  Is there a fix for this?  Other irc clients don't
have that problem and I haven't found any other programs that do that.
I used to have a similar problem in DOS but it had to do with graphics.
I think it might be how it writes to the screen, since the cursor isn't
always on the same line as the text I type, but I think I tried turning
off cursor tracking with no improvement.

Should I use a different irc client, just live with it, file a bug or
what?  What other irc clients are people using?  I've installed all the
text mode clients that come with Debian, but I really think I like ircII
best.  Is there another client not available in Debian that I should
compile from source?  Is it an issue with the Debian scripts?  Thanks
all for any other thoughts you might have.