Debian ist kaput, revisited...

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Jul 21 06:28:27 EDT 2008

Gaijin wrote:
> 	Alright.  Looked over grub's menu.lst file, and I can see that
> every kernel listed  (both the new 2.6.25 w/separate SpeakUP module, and
> old Shane SpeakUP kernel with built-in module) have the
> speakup_synth=ltlk parameter.  Would this be the cause of the problems
> with being unable to echo things to
> /sys/module/speakup/parameters/whatever?  TIA,

Hi,

I don't know but I would doubt it.  I'm using a DEC Express and have the
same problem.  I have two kernels, the newest Debian kernel from Sid and
my custom compiled one.  I use lilo, not grub.  If I boot into kernel 1,
or "Linux," I have the same problem as you.  My /etc/rc.local also quit
working.  If I boot into my old Linux kernel, everything works as
before.  Both kernels, or both sets of modules, have the same bug where
speech will stop after about a screen and a half of text, say about 4
KB.  I haven't tried doing anything with git as I really don't feel like
compiling a new kernel package set again and it takes several hours.  I
haven't figured how to pull from git and just compile modules but I
think module-assistant would do that if I could get it not to
automatically download the "latest" Speakup Debian source, which is
3.0.2-20080517.  Also, I want a stable set of Speakup modules and it
looks like the past few weeks are not stable yet.