Debian Ist Kaput!

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Sun Jul 20 19:52:36 EDT 2008

	Hi again,

	Does anyone know why doing the following in the newDebian
speakup moduele would caus an "Invalid argument" error?

echo "6" > /sys/module/speakup/parameters/rate

	Actually, I can't access any of the module/synthesizer settings.
Trying to change any of them returns an "Invalid argument" error.  Tried
putting "modprobe speakup_ltlk" in the /etc/modules file, but that
didn't werk, so tried putting just "speakup_ltlk" in there, and it
started speaking, anyway, but I can't control it.  Thought it might be
because my /etc/rc.local startup file was echoing to /proc/speakup and
was hosing things, so I scripted a conditional feature into  it:

if [ uname -r = "2.6.18-4-speakup-686" ]; then
	echo "5" > /proc/speakup/rate
else
	echo "5" > /sys/module/speakup/parameters/rate
fi

...still no cigar.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

			Michael