Strange Debian sources.list quirk?

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Sun Jul 20 14:47:48 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 02:59:44AM -0700, Tony Baechler wrote:
> I forgot to run:
> aptitude update

	I really should have been more specific.  The list of modules
disappears if Shane's Etch CD reference is commented out.  What I had
done was:

1: commented out the Shane CD reference in /etc/apt/sources.list.
2: Ran 'apt-get update'
	(This is where the SpeakUP modules/packages disappeared.)
3: Restored the Shane CD reference in sources.list
4: Ran 'apt-get update'
	(This is where they reappeared.)

	From the look of it, The Shane CD references seems to be
required for the modules to be listed.  I thought it was strange that an
Etch CD reference should be required for packages in Lenny to appear,
and was curious as to why.  I'm thinking of when Lenny goes stable, will
this still occur if Lenny wasn't installed via a dist-upgrade from the
Shane CD?  Were they added in some special Shane CD archive, or really
to Lenny?  I'm just saying this kinda sounds like a bug got in when the
packages were built, and that when Lenny goes stable, the modules won't
appear without the Shane CD reference in sources.list.  HTH,

			Michael