duo boot systems...revisited, i think?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Sat Jul 19 21:46:19 EDT 2008

Hi there,
This is crystal clear, and very helpful.
i will write off list to ask the couple of additional questions I have.
Indeed I use  wordperfect among other DOS programs and have  several years
of  work invested in them and in my three dos screen readers, not to
mention tthousands in hardware, so it will
be a separate drive until I have a reason to do otherwise.
Will ask  my remaining questions off list, and thanks for the clear
answer,
Karen

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, Kerry Hoath wrote:

> [...]
> extended memory and control is passed to them by the kernel.
> This initial ramdisk is responsible for loading drivers for the root file
> system, key hardware drivers and starting up raid or volume management
> systems.
> The boot loader needs to load this file (usually 4-12 megabytes large) into
> extended memory above the kernel and pass control to the Linux kernel.
> This blows dos away and gets you running Linux.
>
> Most people use a Linux boot loader to load this up as they tend to work
> better at doing this. These loaders can also boot dos; however it is best to
> keep dos on the first drive, (bios drive 0x80) and Linux either on a
> partition of that drive or on the second disk.
>
> If running 2 operating systems on the one box you have a couple of options
> as you have surmized.
> 2 disks with an operating system per disk, or 1 disk with multiple
> partitions.
>
> I am over-simplifying here in order to make this understandable however when
> you partition a disk a table in the first sector of the disk tells you how
> much disk is allocated to each operating system.
>
> Think of it as slicing up a cake into different sized pieces, you allocate
> diferent sized pieces depending on how hungry people are.
>
> You put dos on the first partition of a disk (usually) and Linux on one or
> more partitions after this.
>
> Install dos (or Windows 95 dos not sure which one you mean) first,
> on a partition that does not take up all the disk, then put Linux on another
> partition or two.
>
> I usually have /boot on a primary partition which contains the boot loader,
> and the rest of Linux in an extended partition, (or in dos terms a set of
> logical drives in the extended partition)
>
> It's up to you how to do things; however this might help clarify or confuse
> things a bit more.
>
> virtualization is a method of running one operating system inside another on
> a computer.
> You can run Linux inside a virtual machine inside Linux, or Windows or other
> operating systems.
> You can't run anything virtually inside dos because dos does not run in
> protected mode and virtualization is not possible in this environment.
>
> You can run virtual Linux in windows, or virtual windows in Linux.
> This allows you to run both operating systems at once; saving you a reboot
> to switch between them.
> Linux has a program called dosemu, which when correctly configured allows
> dos to run inside Linux. Quite a lot of stuf runs under it including some
> games and certain screen readers so it is worth a look.
>
> There's nothing I can do under dos that I can't do under Linux, and unless
> you have certain applications like word perfect or similar you might find
> yourself using Linux more than you use dos.
> I ended up deleting my install of dos about 6 months after installing Linux

>>> a . bat file run in dos that will reboot the system into Linux as needed