duo boot systems...revisited, i think?

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Sat Jul 19 16:27:45 EDT 2008

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Karen Lewellen wrote:

> Not running windows, but will hunt virtual options for DOs.

There are no virtual options for DOS, at least not for running virtuals
under DOS.  A virtual machine is one operating system which runs in an
emulated hardware environment under another operating system.  Linux and
Windows can run virtual  DOS machines, but DOS can not run virtual
anythings.

Now, for DOS under Linux, DOSEmu is probably a better solution than
virtualization.

> now that I think of it though, a reboot is no major factor, any way to create
> a . bat file run in dos that will reboot the system into Linux as needed into
> Linux without requiring the duo processor?

What do you mean by "duo processor"?  If you are talking about multiple
core processors, those have nothing to do with duel boot (duel not duo).

Duel boot, is when you can boot into one of many operating systems which
are installed on your machine, usually in separate hard drive partitions,
or on separate hard drives.  That has no connection what ever, either to
multiple processors, multiple cored processors, or duo anythings.

> I have been dragging out this business long enough, but hardware and talent
> has been the issue.  I do not want yet another hardware factor because I have
> to find a duo processor.

Again, what is this "duo" processor, and why do you need it?

Luke