Removable disc connection problem

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Jul 19 09:45:21 EDT 2008

Georgina Joyce wrote:
> I'm having problems in accessing removable disks that have a fat32 file
> system on my unstable debian system.  I thought that it might be because
> I've not selected something in my custom kernel but can't see what.
> Maybe I need to write a udev rule but I can't get my head around that
> but I'm just stabbing in the dark any ideas?
>
> usb 2-5: Product: VR Stream
> usb 2-5: Manufacturer: Humanwre

Hi,

First, you probably shouldn't include your serial number on public
mailing lists.  Have you tried using a card reader instead?  The Stream
should work in Linux but Humanware has said many times that using a card
reader is the recommended, and much faster, way to copy books to the SD
card.  Also, although this seems obvious, make sure you do a full card
format as FAT32.  I've read various reviews that said that cards had to
be reformatted several times before they worked correctly.