duo boot systems...revisited, i think?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 17 10:57:59 EDT 2008

I would recommend setting up a virtual machine instead of a dual boot
system. The difference is that with a dual boot system, you boot into either
linux or windows. With a virtual machine, either the linux or windows
operating system runs as a virtual machine in the other operating system.
But you don't have to reboot to get to the other operating system. I've
found that the only time I use the "other" operating system on my dual boot
machines is for testing purposes.  For instance, I'm typing this message on
a machine that's dual boot but I haven't booted it into linux for months.
Really since I set it up. Most often what I do is boot my old dual boot
machine into linux and use that.