ot: fedora sulphur has no sound

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jul 15 08:53:59 EDT 2008

Hi,

Don Raikes writes:
> Hello,
>
> Last night I installed the speakupified version of fedora 9 (sulphur). I
> had pulled it from the speakupmodified site a couple of weeks ago.
>
> The install went just fine, but when I rebooted, I discovered I have no
> sound at all.
> I followed the instructions at http://speakupmodified.org to comment out
> the line in /etc/alsa/alsa.conf so that pulseaudio was not a problem,
> although it would be nice to pulseaduio working.

Look at the Pulse Audio web site and try running it as a system wide
daemon. I haven't done this yet, but believe it will serve the purpose.
I share this desire with you, btw, so if you try to reconfigure pulse
audio for daemon mode, please report on how that goes for you.

> I ran alsamixer, but the only device it sees is the microphone. no
> speakkers were presenti nthe display.

Do you have /etc/modprobe.conf? I expect you do not, as Fedora is moving
away from that. You may need to create this file. An example from one of
my systems follows. Also, what does aplay -l show? Are the device
drivers for your various devices loaded? Do you see them when you do
lsmod?

Here's a snip from my laptop's /etc/modprobe.conf. It guarantees my usb
headset will always be hw:1, and my Echo Indigo will always be hw:2, for
instance:

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0