ot: fedora sulphur has no sound

Don Raikes don at draikes.com
Tue Jul 15 04:33:59 EDT 2008

Hello,

Last night I installed the speakupified version of fedora 9 (sulphur). I
had pulled it from the speakupmodified site a couple of weeks ago.

The install went just fine, but when I rebooted, I discovered I have no
sound at all.
I followed the instructions at http://speakupmodified.org to comment out
the line in /etc/alsa/alsa.conf so that pulseaudio was not a problem,
although it would be nice to pulseaduio working.

I ran alsamixer, but the only device it sees is the microphone. no
speakkers were presenti nthe display.

I tried plugging in my usb headset, and although I can see it in the
list of usb devices by using lsusb, alsamixer still shows just the
microphone.

I need to use this system for some testing at work, and sound is
critical, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to be using both speakup with software synthesizer and gnome, so
audio output is definitely needed.

TIA,
Don Raikes
+1 (602) 824-6213