information on making speakup work with soft synths

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 14 11:02:41 EDT 2008

----- Original Message ----- > I fear however that it is a little outdated
in details, especially
> on the speakup side. I'd appreciate if anyone could point comments
> on whether this howto needs to be changed.

I just compiled speechd-up on a new-ish debian machine. I grepped my bash
history for things I installed while trying to compile it. Here is the list:

autoconf
automake
g++
libdotconf
libdotconf-dev
libglibmm-2.4-dev
libspeechd-dev
libspeechd2
libtool
makeinfo
speech-dispatcher
texi2html
texinfo

I kind of remember installing each of these in response to error messages I
got during the compile. So I think most, if not all of the packages in the
above list are necessary. I think the docs say that texinfo and texi2html
aren't required but I think they are. Speech-dispatcher might not be
required. I haven't tried it without installing that first.

I know this is a difficult issue for you as a documentation writer & source
code maintainer. The problem is that if any of these packages is missing,
you get very cryptic error messages. In some cases, I had to do some serious
detective work to figure out what I had to install to get the compile to
keep going.

Of course, even the above list probably isn't exhaustive. My system probably
had a bunch of packages installed that would have caused problems had they
been missing.

So good luck with the docs.