Best distro

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Jul 14 06:20:17 EDT 2008

Foreign White Devil wrote:
> download and try the Live-CD's, which allow you to try each
> distro before deciding on the one that suits.  They run in memory and
> don't change your current operating system.  Hang out in the
> irc.freenode.net chatrooms and see which impresses you the most.  You
> can tell alot about a distro by the users running it and what help they
> generally provide.  You'll probably be visiting them alot as you learn
> your way around the system.

Hi,

That is all very good advice, but for those of you who don't want to
learn irc and get a chat client and or those who don't really know what
resources are out there, please contact me off list.  I am offering a
fee-based support service intended for beginning to intermediate
computer users, supporting DOS, Windows and Linux.  While I'm here, I
will say that there are many freely available resources out there for
those who don't mind looking, including numerous mailing lists.  For
just the Debian lists, check out: [http://lists.debian.org/ Debian
lists]  Also, Gentoo and probably others, including Debian, do have
accessibility lists.  The Gentoo list had no traffic when I was on it
but that was several years ago.  The Debian list is fairly quiet.
There's also the blinux list, but I don't have a home page for it.
Finally, there are always Google searches and the various HOWTO sites
such as [http://tldp.org/ The Linux documentation Project].  That
doesn't even scratch the surface.  Each Distro generally has their own
documentation such as the Debian Documentation Project.