Creating Speakup for FreeBSD

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Jul 12 05:43:30 EDT 2008

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> First I'd advise to put as more prioritized task to implement
> something like linux' /dev/vcsa, because that will permit all kinds of
> accessibility applications like brltty, screader, etc. It shouldn't be
> very difficult, it's just that it did never happen to have both a BSD
> developper and accessibility people working on that together :)

Hi,

I am not a developer and I admit that I'm not sure what you're talking
about, but I know that FreeBSD has a Linux compatibility mode which will
run most Linux apps.  I think brltty runs on FreeBSD but I don't use it
and I could be wrong.  I think I remember YASR running under BSD but I
never tried it.  The only way I accessed a FreeBSD system was with ssh.
I never tried speech on that machine because it had no obvious
accessibility support.