Creating Speakup for FreeBSD

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Jul 11 14:03:32 EDT 2008

Hello,

First I'd advise to put as more prioritized task to implement
something like linux' /dev/vcsa, because that will permit all kinds of
accessibility applications like brltty, screader, etc. It shouldn't be
very difficult, it's just that it did never happen to have both a BSD
developper and accessibility people working on that together :)

Tony Baechler, le Fri 11 Jul 2008 10:54:36 -0700, a écrit :
> I know that it would be impossible to port
> the source directly to FreeBSD, but I would think that some of the
> driver code could be reused since a synthesizer would act the same
> regardless of the OS.

Agreed.  The drivers are btw quite cleaner now, and it would be
relatively easy to port that information.  I think what can be inherited
as well is the way one browses the screen: I guess during the past
speakup has seen modifications to make it more efficient, it'd be good
to reuse that knowledge.

Samuel