speechd-up in debian SID

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 1 11:19:20 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory Nowak" <greg at romuald.net.eu.org>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: speechd-up in debian SID

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 04:00:02PM -0400, Terry D. Cudney wrote:
>> I am having problems with both packages though. Randomly (or so it seems)
>> software speech just stops talking. I have checked with orca when this
>> happens, and everything seems to be in place. i.e. speech-dispatcher
>> still talks, speechd-up is still running, the speakup_soft module is
>> still loaded). Speakup core is compiled into the kernel. It stops talking
>> anywhere  from 2 minutes to... right now, version 0.4 has been working
>> well for about 5 hours. I have had it working with and without orca and
>> the gnome-terminal concurrently.
>
> I have seen this happen occasionally, but only with a delay of a second
> or so. It started after I went from rate 8 to rate 9, and only if my
> system is fairly heavily loaded. This is of course on a 32-bit
> system. A shot in the dark suggestion would be to play with the
> niceness of speechd-up/speech-dispatcher, and see if it helps any. I
> recall someone else posting on here a while back ago, claiming that
> their 64-bit system was too fast for software speech, but I don't
> remember what symptoms this report was based on. Sorry I can't be of
> much more help.

This is the first feedback I've ever gotten about my debian speechd-up
package. It's been downloaded a bunch of times but as far as I know, I'm the
only one who ever actually used it.

I'm setting up an AMD64 machine right now (my doubletalk is chattering away
right next to me) so I will be able to test the AMD64 package. I am pretty
sure the i386 package works well because I've installed it hundreds of times
on several different types of computers. But I'm not sure the 2 packages are
the same. Speechd-up didn't change but linux and speakup did. My speechd-up
script attempts to install an init.d script that you can use to start & stop
software speech and it had to be modified quite a bit for kernels 2.6.21 and
greater.