speech-dispatcher crashing with nothing in log

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Mon Jan 21 02:51:43 EST 2008

Rynhardt P Kruger wrote:
> I have a strange problem on my grml 1.1 rc1 box.
> Often speech-dispatcher will crash, with nothing in the log and no message on the console.
Hello Runhardt,

what exactly do you mean by ,,nothing in the log''? Do you mean
there is no clear reason for the crash at the end of the log file
or do you mean that the logfile has 0 bytes?

In the first case, please increase the LogLevel in speechd.conf to 5, switch
Debug to 1 (and remove the # comment character) in espeak.conf or whatever
module you are using and send me speechd.log and espeak.log to
hanke at brailcom.org (not the list since it will be big file), perhaps
we can deduce something.

If you really mean the logfile is totally empty, then there must
be some path or permission problem. Please write where do you
expect the log to be, how do you run speechd and
what is the result of ls -l speechd.log .

Thank you,
Hynek