Finding a suitable filesystem

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Mon Jan 7 10:25:53 EST 2008

I always format mine fat32 since I use them under both windows and
unix and really don't care about permitions all that much on these
devices.
On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 05:46:15PM +0000, Michael Whapples
wrote:
> Hello,
> I am wondering what filesystem is best for a USB memory stick. The
> problem is that fat/fat32 is very poor on the permissions, but most
> systems can read/write it, whereas ntfs is poorly supported under Linux
> (and I am not certain about how good the permission support is) and
> things like ext3, reiserfs and other unix FSs aren't supported on
> windows. So is there mount options for fat/fat32 which improves the case
> somewhat under Linux, or might ntfs be a good compromise as most of the
> Linux systems I will be using it on will be mine so I can install
> ntfs-3g or other drivers (and windows 9x seems to have disappeared
> sufficiently that I won't have too many of those), or is there a windows
> driver for one of the unix filesystems (and if I want to be able to use
> it on more than just my machine I suppose I could make a small fat32
> partition where I could have the driver available should a windows
> machine not have it).
>
> Thanks for any pointers to information or advice people can give.
>
> From
> Michael Whapples

There are two types of Linux developers - those who can spell, and
those who can't.  There is a constant pitched battle between the two.
	-- From one of the post-1.1.54 kernel update messages posted to c.o.l.a