Swap Question

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Jan 7 03:55:01 EST 2008

You can do without swap if you must; however allocating a few hundred megs
of swap on a multi-gigabyte drive won't hurt and can in fact improve things
in a number of ways:
1: If a process is idle and taking up a large amount of memory; it can be
swapped out to disk to allow other processes to use the
memory. Think virtualization, web servers and the like.
without swap; when the kernel runs out of memory it will start killing
processes; this can get ugly.
With swap; you notice the system is using swap and can do something about it
before things go critical.
secondly: tuxonice and uswsusp 2 of the hybernate solutions for Linux write
the suspend images to the swap space.
If you don't have swap then you can't suspend to disk.
s2both suspends to disk and ram; so if you power up the machine again from
standby the memory image is used; if that fails the disk snapshot is used.

my personal recommendation is to allocate the maximum your physical ram is
likely to be to swapspace, in your current case; 2gb of swap.

With large capacity drives beeing under 30 cents a gig; this is not really a
problem in 2007.

swap partitions are faster to access; however if you allocate space to swap
then get more ram you can allways add in a swap file. In fact; there are
howto documents on how to share swapspace between Windows and Linux if that
helps also.
Regards, Kerry.