does anything upset speakup?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Jan 4 16:18:09 EST 2008

  I would agree that generally speakup can't be messed up, but have
occassionally found one or two cases where things have gone wrong, but it is
probably due to poor program design and has probably messed up the terminal
anyway for sighted users (so not really messing up speakup but the system).

Those cases I have described are rare, and probably can be seen coming, eg.
kernel stuff, or stuff which tries to access the same hardware as speakup
(eg. if you get emacspeak to try and access the same synth can confuse
things, etc). the things which may mess up your terminal sometimes are
things which use libraries such as ncurses which may change terminal
settings and if killed unexpectedly may not restore the correct settings
(there possibly are commands to restore the terminal, but you need to know
these, I don't).

From
Michael Whapples